Wednesday 6 February 2013

Books, books and more books!

I have been trying to read more - a lot more. I stopped for a long while when I was attending University and for quite a time after that. I just got lazy I suppose. Then when I was living in Toronto and had an hour+ subway commute to and from work each day, I got back to reading, it was a good way to escape the noise and crazy that is the subway at rush hour. Since the days of the dreaded commute I have got back in the habit of reading, some may even say it has become an addiction! As soon as I finish one book I MUST have another lined up and ready to go. I've been reading a lot more since I have been in this house, and it may help that I have a never ending supply of books from my mum and best friend who are now just a 5 minute drive away! There is a library a few blocks from home that I must (but have not yet) visited, but since there seems to be  never ending flow of books coming my way, I haven't bothered! The way I see it, if I haven't read a book, it is new to me - be it a new release paid for at full price from Chapters or an old Agatha Christie dug out of my mum's basement, I will read it if I haven't laid eyes on it before!


I just finished reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I won't give anything away, but if you are a book lover, this book is for you. It is a book about books and a story within a story - in the best possible way! A Christmas gift from my mum.


I have just JUST started reading Doppler by Erlend Loe. It's not a terribly long book, after just one evening I am well into it. It's interesting, different, and I suppose a bit weird. But if a story about an odd man living in the woods with a moose sounds up your alley, give it a go! This was a Christmas gift from my friend to my mum.


Next in line is A Trick of the Light. It is by Louise Penny, the same author as Bury Your Dead, which I received as a gift from my mum last year and I loved it, so I can only hope that this will be just as good if not better! Another Christmas gift from my mum.

*As you can see, in my family/circle of friends, we give books as Christmas gifts...a lot! We then pass them around...and around and around!



No comments:

Post a Comment