Tuesday 22 January 2013

A tiny bit of wedding talk

Over the past couple of weeks I have really got cracking on the wedding planning business. I really like the idea of a small, fun and unique wedding, but getting the major details like the venue and church arranged is the challenging part. I have had a lot of back and forth by email to some venues and a church and it seems I may have had a break-through (nothing official yet...I need to take a trip to see the venue, and this is not easy since it involves a trans-Atlantic flight!). If all goes well over the next few days, I should know for sure if we get the church we want and the venue is holding our spot so we can visit first, sometime in April - they are really doing us a favor!

Once the church and venue are arranged, along with all of the paperwork and other bits and pieces involved in getting married abroad, the other details such as flowers, photographer, cake, decorations - the list goes on, should be a bit easier and a bit more fun to do. The one things that I am not looking forward to is the wedding dress. If you must know one thing about me, it is that I am not a dress-wearing kind of girl...I have not worn an actual dress for well over 10 years and even a skirt is a stretch for me - I own a handful but they have not seen the light of day in years. So getting a dress is going to be a challenge, especially since I do not want the typical wedding dress, it is not my style and I don't think it would fit with what I have in mind for my wedding...besides, I just can't see myself going to a big bridal store, getting into a long white strappy (or strap-less) dress...it is not me, no matter what anyone says, I can't do it, not even for my wedding day! I am after something a bit different, something that is still wedding-ee, but that I can be comfortable in for the day* and something that will be suitable in the autumn weather of Ireland. That is not to say I am after track pants and a pair of wellies, but I need to be happy and comfortable otherwise I am liable to get grumpy and I don't need that on my wedding day...no one needs that ever! 

So...any ideas? I have a few places to visit in Toronto that were recommended, but I won't be heading to the city for a few weeks still (it's too cold right now, I am in hibernation-mode). If anyone out there has any other ideas, suggestions, photos (anything) don't be afraid to send em' my way! I will need all the help I can get!

*Comfort is not usually at the top of most wedding dress "must have" lists, but for me I need something I am not going to be tugging at all day...seriously, how do people do the strapless dress thing? I would be hoisting it up constantly to ensure a boob doesn't fly out...and if the thing is so secure nothing is at risk of slipping out, it can't be that comfortable...I don't care what you say, it can't be! I don't want to feel like I am wearing armor for the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment