Thursday 22 November 2012

Thrift shop Christmas!

As this is the first Christmas in our own home, we are basically starting from scratch when it comes to decorations. We just grabbed a Christmas tree last night (artificial) along with a wreath for the front door (only 10 12 more wreathes and we will be even with the neighbors - had to count twice and each day they add more!). Now we need decorations for the tree!



Since mid-October I have kept my eye out for decorations, mostly at thrift shops. I figured it may be too early for some people to start shopping, so I would see what I could scoop up. I had a great find that I didn't think I could beat, 35 glass ball ornaments (only one broken in the lot). They are assorted colours and sizes, a few bell shaped ones in there, and quite a few pink ones (not a colour I normally look for at Christmas!). The whole lot cost about $8, surely I couldn't beat that?!


Well this past weekend I hit my favorite thrift shop, hoping to find something good. I didn't initially go in looking for ornaments but the front half of the store was nothing but CHRISTMAS, so I had a look. It was Jeremiah who spotted the ornaments (glass balls - I don't really like the plastic ones, although with a cat plastic would be a safer bet!) and began grabbing them up! When his hands were full he directed me to more ornaments and TOLD me to "get them all"! I did as he said and grabbed up all the boxes and bags of ornaments and piled them into his arms, all the while oblivious to an on-looker who had a pleading look in her eyes that said "dear god don't take them all". I didn't notice her, otherwise I probably would have felt bad and split the ornaments with her, she was only about 2 minutes behind us entering the store, but the man - he was ruthless! He saw the pained look on her face but was not going to give up! Once he has his mind set on something (especially Christmas-related) he doesn't give up! He is a good one to take to flea markets and thrift stores...our tastes are pretty similar, but he doesn't always share the same appreciation for beautiful (albeit useless) things like I do! Oh, that last haul yielded 71 ornaments (mostly gold) for $10! Nothing broken (so far!).

No comments:

Post a Comment